Immediately south of Fort is Galle Face Green, a long stretch of lawn facing the Indian Ocean. At opposite ends of the green are the Galle Face Hotel and the Ceylon Continental Hotel.
The Green was originally created by the Dutch to give the cannons of Fort a clear line of fire. Then, in 1859, Governor Sir Henry Ward designed the 1 mile (1.6 km) stretch of Galle Face Green as a promenade for ladies and children to saunter and 'take in the air' while the men met at the nearby Club. A stone commemorating this endeavor by Sir Henry Ward can be found on the Green.
Today, the lawn is a popular rendezvous spot; on weekdays it's dotted with joggers, kite flyers and walkers, and on weekends (especially Sunday evening) everyone gathers to enjoy the outdoors and relax.