Old Parliament stands at the northern end of Galle Face Green facing the Indian Ocean. Built in the
classic baroque/ionic style in the 1930s, the Council Chamber for the Executive and Legislative Council
building stands in front of the Secretariat. Three statues stand in front of the building: the former Prime
Ministers of Ceylon R Honorable D.S. Senanayake, Honorable Dudley Senanayake, and General Sir John
In 1948, the Chamber building was re-planned and re-constructed internally to accommodate the new
House of Representatives, State Council, and the National State Assembly. It became the Parliament
of Sri Lanka in the late 1970s, when the British Coat of Arms to Ceylon was replaced with the
implementation of the Constitution of Sri Lanka in 1972.
In 1983, a new Parliament building was constructed at Sri Jayawardenapura, Kotte, while the Old
Parliament building was refurbished to accommodate the Presidential Secretariat as well as the Ministry
of Finance and Planning.