Kandy is one of the most well-known towns in Sri Lanka and a point of interest for visitors. The city was the last of the royal capitals and is now home to the placid Kandy Lake and the Temple of the Tooth, The Kandy Perahera, one of the biggest elephant pageants in which the sacred tooth relic is paraded around the city, is held here every July/August. Another site of interest is the Old Royal Palace compound, which includes the old royal palace, quarters of royal concubines, the queen’s chambers, the council chambers and the armory.
- Temple of the Tooth – Also known as the Dalida Maligawa, this complex is a significant Buddhist site as it contains the tooth of the Buddha and is venerated by Buddhists and pilgrims.
- Kandy Perahera – Held over 12 days annually in the months of July/August, the festival honours the sacred tooth relic. During the Perahera, the relic casket is taken out on parade throughout the streets of Kandy from its usual location in the Temple of the Tooth Relic. The parade includes fire dancers, monks, an assortment of musicians that provide rhythmic drumming for the dancers, jugglers and the procession of officials and is an absolute cultural treat and experience.
- Old Royal Palace Compound- Dating as far back as the 14th century, the Royal Palace of the Kandyan Kingdom is ensconced in the Kandyan valleys. The palace is now in ruins, and was last renovated in the 18th century by the last Kandyan King, Wickrama Rajasinghe.
- Peradiniya Gardens- also known as the Royal Botanical Gardens and located just a few miles away from the city, the 147 acre garden is the largest in Sri Lanka, and the home to a variety of trees, plants, and flowers.
Accommodation (basic price per night)
- Amaya Hills - +94 77 7777 2237 ($130)
- Cinnamon Citadel - +94 11 2306 600 ($90)
- The Change - +94 77 7403 921
- Kandy Samadhi Centre - +94 77 7710 013 ($45)
- The Mansion - +94 81 2463 166 ($60)
- Helga’s Folly - +94 81 2234 571 ($170)
- Mahaweli Reach - + 94 81 2472 727 ($190)
- Earl’s Regency - +94 81 2422 122 ($170)
- Baramba House - +94 81 2200 173 ($75)
- Madugalle Friendly Family Guest House - +94 71 8570 907 ($20)
- Theva Residency - +94 81 7388 296-9($150)
- Kandy Cottage - +94 81 2204 742 ($25)
- Sevana Guest House - +94 81 2222 861 ($10)
- Blue Haven Guest House - +94 77 7372 066 ($30)
Situated in the hills of the island’s Central Province, Kandy is about 115km east of Colombo and is accessible by car, train or seaplane.
© 2017 Copyright Express Newspapers (Cey) (Pvt) Ltd. All rights reserved